As homes in the area were built, residents gained recreational access to the lake through an informal agreement with the property owners. Later, to ensure continuous usage rights to the lake property, homeowners established the Rock Ridge Community Club, Inc. This organization was set up to protect the lake, as well as surrounding lands, ensuring that homeowners in the locality would continue to enjoy the most important benefit in the Rock Ridge community.
Today, the Rock Ridge Community Club, Inc. continues to serve as the governing body of the lake and surrounding property. An executive committee of 10 elected officers oversees the day-to-day operations of the lake as well as a number of special purpose sub-committees. Membership is available to all residents owning or renting a home within the Rock Ridge boundaries. Over the years, as more homes were built, the boundaries were extended to offer membership opportunities to additional residents. Today, Rock Ridge has over 200 member households, and that number is increasing.
In 1772, a man named John Cook purchased a large parcel of land in this area, part of which we now know as Rock Ridge. This land was handed down from father to son until 1907, when it was purchased by a pair of entrepreneurs for development purposes. Just prior to selling the property, a wooden dam was built, and what was formally a swamp became Rock Ridge Lake.